Dental implants for cosmetic smile improvement in San Francisco
People considering dental implants to replace missing teeth should know the following:
- What are dental implants? They are essentially replacement tooth root. Using the same material that many medical surgeons use to replace joints in the body, titanium, the replacement tooth roots are securely placed into the jawbone. They are strong and long lasting solutions to missing teeth.
- How long does it take to receive the new tooth? The process takes some time because it requires time for the bone to grow around the metal post. For some patients it takes several weeks, for others, several months. Once the bone has healed around to the post, a crown can be placed. Patients will likely receive temporary crowns to use during the healing process.
- Are dental implants safe? Implants are not only safe; they are good for the health of the mouth. When a tooth is lost, the surrounding teeth can become weak or shift. Additionally, without a tooth to stimulate it, the jawbone can begin to dissolve, causing bone loss. The implant provides the jawbone with necessary stimulation and gives proper support to the nearby teeth.
- Will anyone know the difference? Not unless the patient tells them. Dental crowns, the replacement tooth that others, will be able to see will be custom made. Advancements in technology have made it so that the replacement tooth can be a precise match in shade and shape to the natural teeth.
- Are they better than other alternatives? People considering dental implants likely know that there are other options. However, implants are usually preferred over dentures or bridges because they function so much like natural teeth. Where dentures sit above the gum line, implants become an integral part of the mouth. They don’t slip or shift while people are eating or speaking.
Dental implants are an effective solution to replacing a missing tooth and giving patients a smile that is happy and healthy, leading to an improvement in self-confidence and overall wellbeing. Dr. Leo Arellano of Leo Arellano DDS PC is skilled and trained in providing dental implants to his San Francisco patients. Those who are considering implants can call Dr. Arellano’s office today to determine if implants are the best solution for a beautiful smile.