San Francisco enjoys the benefits after dental implants procedure
In most cases, dentists and patients consider dental implants the preferred choice for replacing missing teeth. Unlike conventional dentures that rest on the gumline, or dental bridges that rely on the adjacent teeth for support, dental implants are standalone restorations that are anchored in the jawbone. Dental implants are actually replacements for tooth roots. They may be topped with dental crowns, bridges, or dentures, depending on patients’ needs.
There are numerous benefits to receiving dental implants:
- Oral structure is restored as close to its natural state as possible. By replacing the roots, a stable, strong foundation is created for the visible restoration. This results in closely replicating the function of natural teeth providing the same comfort, chewing ability, and natural feel.
- Implants preserve the contours of the face. Implants stimulate the jawbone, preventing the bone loss that is inherent with tooth loss, which allows the facial structure to remain intact. The lower third of the face will collapse after complete tooth loss unless implants are placed to stimulate and preserve the bone.
- Natural looking replacements improve the aesthetics of the smile. In the front of the mouth, a traditional replacement will allow the bone to erode, creating a visible defect in the oral structure.
- Healthy teeth are not compromised to support a traditional restoration. Standard dental bridges require significant reduction of the adjacent teeth to receive the crowns anchoring the bridge. Partial dentures put undue pressure on the supporting teeth, which can cause them to loosen, and eventually come out.
- When implants are used to support replacement teeth, the restoration has a natural look, function, and feel. The increased comfort and confidence when smiling, speaking, and eating improve the patients’ overall quality of life.
- Care of implant restorations is easy. Patients simply brush, floss, and maintain regular dental checkups. It is important to protect the health of the gums, as periodontal disease can result in implant failure in the same way it can cause the loss of natural teeth.
Although dental implants have a higher initial cost, they are more cost effective due to their longevity. Traditional dentures and bridges require periodic replacement; dental implants have a success rate of more than 95 percent after over 20 years.
Dr. Leo Arellano and his exceptional team offer the excellence that only can be gained from experience. Call 415-881-4343 and schedule an appointment today.