Dental implants give Daly City a natural solution to tooth loss
More than 178 million people in the U.S. are missing one or more teeth according to statistics released by the American College of Prosthodontists. Whether teeth have been lost due to decay, trauma, disease, or other reasons, it is important to replace them promptly. In addition to affecting the beauty of the smile, missing teeth can affect clear speech and efficient chewing, and can cause jawbone loss.
Although a partial denture or dental bridge can be used to replace missing teeth, dental implants are favored by both dentists and patients because of the benefits they provide.
- Life-like – A dental implant is as strong and stable as a natural tooth. A restored dental implant functions, fits, feels, and looks like a natural tooth, and it has the same strength and stability.
- Long-term solution – Dental bridges usually require replacement after five to seven years, and partial dentures require periodic adjustment or replacement. Dental implants provide long-term restorations, they can last a lifetime with proper placement and good care.
- Protect bone – When a tooth is missing, the bone that supported it begins to erode due to lack of stimulation. Dental implants transfer the pressure of biting or chewing directly to the jawbone, stimulating the bone to regenerate itself and retain structure and strength.
- Protect facial contours – Tooth loss and the ensuing bone loss can give the face a sunken look. Dental implants replace the missing tooth and maintain the bone, preserving the natural contours of the face.
- Protect existing teeth – A dental bridge is supported by crowns placed over the teeth adjacent to the gap from a missing tooth. The supporting teeth are reduced significantly to accommodate placement of the crowns. A partial denture can contribute to plaque buildup, and therefore, periodontal disease or cavities, if not cleaned regularly and properly. A dental implant is a standalone restoration that does not affect the neighboring teeth.
- Predictable – Dental implants have a high success rate, and they are considered more predictable than removable appliances or bridgework.
Dr. Leo Arellano and his team provide a wide range of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic dental services to the people of Daly City, San Francisco, and the surrounding areas. Call 415-881-4343 to schedule an appointment today.