Daly City patients ask, “What are dental implants?”
Many patients in Daly City and across the country have heard of dental implants, but they actually know very little about this terrific method of replacing missing teeth. Dr. Leo Arellano and his team have restored many smiles with implants, and they provide comprehensive information about this service to help patients better understand their choices when considering tooth replacement options. Dental implants are artificial tooth roots that are used to provide stable, strong foundations for dental crowns, bridges, or dentures.
Dental implants are small titanium cylinders that are placed in the jawbone in a gentle oral surgery. After they are placed, the jawbone fuses to the implants in a process called osseointegration. This may take anywhere from several weeks to several months, depending on the case. After osseointegration is complete, the final restoration is placed and the patient has a long lasting solution to tooth loss.
Implants offer a number of advantages:
- Appearance – Once completed with a restoration, dental implants generally look and feel like natural teeth. The implants fuse with the bone, making them a stable and long lasting solution.
- Balancing – Due to the independent support for restorations, implants balance the chewing force among all teeth, preventing the existing teeth from bearing extra pressure.
- Conservative – Implants are a standalone restoration, so they do not require reduction of adjacent teeth as a dental bridge does.
- Protection – Dental implants provide stimulation to the underlying bone, significantly reducing the deterioration and resorption of the jawbone.
- Longevity – With effective oral hygiene practices and regular dental checkups, implants can last a lifetime, whereas other restorations require periodic adjustment or replacement.
- Stability – Restorations attached to implants are extremely stable, facilitating clear speech and easier chewing. In addition, the placement of just a few implants can be used to stabilize a complete denture, eliminating the need for denture adhesive and solving many of the problems associated with dentures.
In general, most patients are good candidates for dental implant treatment. Certain medical conditions, and heavy alcohol or tobacco use may contraindicate dental implant treatment. In these cases, Dr. Arellano offers other excellent options for tooth replacement. Call 415-881-4343 today to schedule a consultation with the doctor.