Preventative dental care services available from our dentist in San Francisco, CA
A healthy smile starts at the dentist but continues at home every day. Dr. Leo Arellano in San Francisco, CA is here to help patients improve their oral health with preventive dental care services. With a wide range of treatments and procedures available, men and women in the area can achieve and maintain a healthy smile.
What preventative dental care services are available?
Dr. Leo Arellano is proud to offer a broad selection of treatment options for patients who are interested in maintaining a healthy smile. Below are just a few of the services available:
- Dental cleanings. While brushing and flossing at home can improve oral health, sometimes there are areas that may be hard to reach or difficult to get clean. When patients visit us for a dental cleaning, they are under the care of one of our experienced dental hygienists who can ensure a thorough cleaning. A dental cleaning is done to remove plaque and tartar from the teeth. At the same time, these cleanings allow the dental hygienist to look for signs of problems such as decay or disease.
- Examinations. A dental exam is a great time for patients to speak to their dentist about their oral health care needs. An examination may include a physical evaluation of the teeth and gums, as well as x-rays, to get images of the bone and teeth. Examinations provide a time for Dr. Leo Arellano to assess the health of the smile and decide if any specific interventions need to begin. During an examination, periodontal disease, tooth decay, or infection can be found, diagnosed, and treated.
- Fillings. If food particles, sugars, and acids are allowed on the natural tooth enamel for an extended period, patients may be allowing problems to develop. Acids can break down tooth enamel and result in holes called “cavities.” This is tooth decay that can significantly impact the health of a tooth if left undiagnosed and untreated. Dr. Leo Arellano can treat tooth decay with fillings. This is completed by using a material known as composite resin that is placed into the area of decay to seal the tooth. Dr. Leo Arellano focuses on the use of holistic and biocompatible materials.
- Treatment of periodontal disease. Periodontal disease is an infection that starts in the mouth. Also known as gum disease, it is often characterized by swelling, redness, and bleeding of the gum tissues. Without treatment, the condition can worsen and can result in the loss of bone, gums, or teeth. If periodontal disease has been diagnosed, it is vital that patients undergo treatment. This may include a thorough deep cleaning known as scaling and root planing, or the use of antibiotics to address the bacteria and control the infection. The stage at which the condition has reached will determine the treatment recommended by Dr. Leo Arellano. The most conservative treatment is often the first choice.
- Restorative care. If conditions such as periodontal disease or tooth decay have impacted the smile, Dr. Leo Arellano will provide restorative care once the condition has been addressed. Sometimes, this means the placement of a dental implant, bridge, or denture if patients lost natural teeth. Other times this may include gum recontouring treatment after the loss of gum tissue from periodontal disease. The damage that is caused to the teeth, gums, and bone due to poor oral health can often be restored, though restorative dental care can be costly. It is best for patients to pay close attention to their oral health and maintain a healthy smile, rather than let problems start and result in extensive damage.
Schedule a visit with Dr. Leo Arellano
Taking care of the smile can be achieved with preventative dental care services with our dentist in San Francisco, CA. Call Dr. Leo Arellano and his team at 415-881-4343 and start taking charge of your oral health and wellness. Our holistic practice is dedicated to helping others improve the health of their smiles and enjoy beautiful teeth and gums for a lifetime!