What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
Having a healthy smile is something that everyone wants to enjoy. But there is one thing that can cause your smile to suffer, gum recession. Gum recession doesn’t happen overnight. The process happens gradually but with biannual dental visits, it can be caught and treated by your dentist.
There are several causes for gum recession. One of them is age. After age 40, you may notice that gum recession may occur even with proper oral care. But for most people, especially those who don’t visit a dentist regularly, receding gums aren’t noticed unless it starts causing other health issues. Another factor that may cause gum recession is brushing your teeth too hard. Brushing aggressively and with an improper technique can lead to both thinning enamel at the gum line and gum recession.
Gum recession can also be caused by untreated periodontal disease and gingivitis as well as eating disorders, chewing tobacco and grinding your teeth. If your gum recession is too far along, this can lead to tooth loss, infections, bad breath, root decay, and painful sensitive roots. There is a dental procedure that your dentist can perform to treat gum recession. It is called gum grafting, which is a procedure where gum tissue is attached to the recession area in order to protect your teeth.
Depending on the severity of your gum recession, your dentist will use either gum tissue from your mouth or from a gum tissue donor to place at the problem area. In some cases when treated early enough, the roots can be completely covered again. But in all cases, it can help prevent further gum recession.
Because gum grafts are a delicate procedure, one must be careful not to disturb the graft during the early days of healing in order for the graft to heal properly for the best results. Once the graft has healed, you are able to do things as normal. Just make sure that you treat your new and improved gum line with a proper oral hygiene regimen. This means using the correct brushing techniques that your dentist recommends in order to safeguard your gums and teeth from future gum recession.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco