Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
Ongoing research continues to discover new associations between oral health and systemic conditions throughout the body. There have been numerous links revealed between periodontal pathogens and diseases that affect the lungs, blood sugar, heart, pregnancy, kidneys, Alzheimer’s, and various cancers. Emerging science indicates that oral health is a major factor in the prevention of any inflammatory disease.
Periodontal (gum) disease is an oral disease that begins with bacterial growth in the mouth (plaque), and can progress from inflammation of the gums to destruction of the periodontal ligament, bone loss, and eventual tooth loss. Plaque develops when sugars and starches are left on the teeth and bacteria begin thriving on these foods. If this plaque is not removed regularly with oral hygiene and professional cleaning, gum disease can set in.
Gum disease is treatable, but patient vigilance and cooperation with the dentist is crucial to control this serious condition. There are many aspects to the successful treatment of gum disease:
The very first thing a dentist may recommend is some changes in behavior. Since plaque is the principal trigger for gum disease, it must be removed carefully every day. Excellent oral hygiene consists of careful brushing of all surfaces of every tooth, for at least two minutes, morning, and night. Daily cleaning between the teeth with dental floss or an intra-oral brush is also crucial. When flossing is skipped, 35% of the tooth’s surface is not cleaned.
A balanced and nutritious diet, sufficient sleep, and adequate exercise are important to successful and sustained control of gum disease. Avoidance of all tobacco products, including "smokeless" tobacco is also essential to good oral health. Regular visits to the dentist for an exam and the hygienist for a professional cleaning is critical to the early detection and treatment of gum disease.
Periodontal treatment is carried out in the least invasive manner possible. Scaling and root planing is typically the first action taken by the dentist. This involves removing the plaque and tartar from the root surfaces and smoothing those surfaces. Ozone therapy is becoming a popular treatment for gum disease as studies have supported the effectiveness of its oxidant and antibacterial effects in stopping the progress of the disease, remineralizing the bone, and facilitating the healing process. Laser therapy has proven to be an effective treatment for gum disease as well. The success of any of these treatments requires the meticulous at home oral hygiene. In some severe cases, periodontal surgery may be necessary, if the dentist finds that the tissue around the teeth cannot be repaired with noninvasive treatments.
To enjoy the benefits of optimal oral and overall health, begin an appropriate oral hygiene routine today, and call 415-881-4343 to schedule a comprehensive examination with Dr. Leo Arellano today.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco