Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
Dr. Leo Arellano and his talented team are dedicated to helping people in San Francisco and across the Bay Area enjoy beautiful smiles and optimal oral health. The doctor provides a wide range of preventive, restorative, and cosmetic services, but he believes prevention is the best treatment for any dental issue. Problems with gum health (periodontal disease) are a common concern across America. The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) estimates that half of all people over 30 suffer from some stage of the disease. Good oral hygiene and healthy habits are essential to preventing gum disease.
Dr. Arellano offers some tips to help avoid gum problems:
- Diet – Reduce the frequency and quantity of sugary foods and beverages consumed, because sugar feeds the harmful bacteria that cause periodontal disease.
- Tobacco – Research has found that tobacco use, both smoking and the use of smokeless tobacco, may play a role in more than 50 percent of the cases of chronic periodontal disease. Quitting can improve oral and overall health.
- Checkups – Periodontal disease is not obvious to the individual until it has reached the most advanced stages. Regular dental examinations can reveal the onset of the disease and allow it to be addressed promptly. Early treatment is more conservative and prevents further damage to the oral tissues.
- Oral hygiene – Effective oral hygiene is the first line of defense against periodontal disease.
- Brush after meals and snacks. When it is not possible to brush, rinsing can remove a portion of the food particles and reduce bacteria by 30 percent.
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush with a small head, place the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gum line and brush debris away from the gums, making sure to brush every surface of every tooth.
- If limited dexterity is a problem, an electric toothbrush may be beneficial.
- Clean the tongue with a toothbrush or tongue scraper.
- Rinse with a prescription chlorhexidrine mouthwash or Listerine twice a day.
- Floss – Flossing daily is crucial to effective oral hygiene because a toothbrush cannot reach the areas between teeth.
Dr. Arellano and his team are happy to answer patients' questions about best practices to improve oral health and avoid gum problems. They can demonstrate proper brushing and flossing techniques for patients, if needed.
Our office is conveniently located at 3030 Geary Blvd. San Francisco, CA 94118. Be proactive about oral health. Call 415-881-4343 and schedule an appointment today.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco