Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
As a dentist, one of our biggest concerns is seeing the development of gum disease in the mouth of one of our patients. Gum disease, or periodontal disease, can affect patients for a variety of reasons, but is most often due to ineffective oral hygiene. If you do not brush, floss, or visit with the dentist regularly, you are putting yourself at risk for developing gum disease. For patients who do develop the condition, Dr. Arellano and his team offer a variety of treatments at their San Francisco office.
Gum disease treatment depends entirely on the stage of the condition when it is diagnosed. In its earliest stage, called gingivitis, treatment is usually a professional deep cleaning followed by a strict at-home oral health care regimen. Symptoms of gingivitis include bleeding during brushing or inflamed red gums.
If gingivitis is left untreated, it will advance into periodontitis. At this point, gum disease is no longer considered curable, although it can be controlled. Periodontitis can cause the gums to separate from the teeth, deterioration of the bone structure, and loose teeth that are susceptible to falling out or requiring extraction. Gum disease is one of the most common reasons that adults lose their teeth.
There are a few treatments available for gum disease depending on when it is diagnosed. For patients with gingivitis, a procedure called scaling and root planning is used to remove the hardened buildup from the teeth and around the gum line. Antibiotics may also be necessary to prevent or treat any infections.
Periodontitis may require surgical treatment to remove plaque deep below the gum line. Bone and gum grafts may also be required to restore damaged structure. The use of laser gum treatment may also be appropriate.
The best way to prevent gum disease is by taking care of your teeth and gums. Brush your teeth at least twice daily, if not after every meal, and floss at least once each day. Antibacterial mouthwashes can also be helpful in preventing bacteria buildup. It is also important to stay current on your dental checkups. In addition to professional cleanings which remove plaque and tartar that brushing alone does not completely remove, your dentist will check the health of your teeth and gums. This ensures that any potential problems are caught early when they are most easily treated.
Call our office today at 415-881-4343 to schedule an appointment for a checkup; it's never too late to take control of your oral health.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco