Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
Gum disease is a chronic infection and inflammation of the gums and surrounding tissues. It develops when plaque, a bacteria-laden biofilm is allowed to build up around the teeth. The condition has been closely associated with a number of serious health conditions.
Dr. Leo Arellano and his highly trained team help people from Daly City and across the Bay Area understand the risk factors, symptoms, complications, and treatment of this disease to emphasize the importance of prevention.
A number of factors can put some people at higher risk for developing gum disease, making dental diligence even more important.
- Ineffective oral hygiene practices
- Hormonal changes during times such as puberty, pregnancy, menopause, or andropause, can increase the risk for gum disease
- Diabetes increases the risks of infections, including gum disease
- Smoking is a significant risk factor for gum disease and it also decreases the success of treatment
- Conditions such as AIDS, cancer, and other diseases, as well as their treatments, can make the gums more vulnerable to infection
- Genetic susceptibility makes some families prone to developing gum disease
Anyone who exhibits any of these symptoms should schedule a dental appointment right away:
- Receding gums
- Chronic bad breath or bad taste in the mouth
- Red, tender, swollen, or bleeding gums
- Sensitive or loose teeth
- Painful chewing
Just some of the complications that are associated with gum disease include:
- Tooth, gum, and bone loss
- Heart disease
- Difficulty controlling diabetes
- Respiratory problems
- Low birth weight, premature babies
Depending on the extent of the disease, treatment can range from a thorough professional cleaning and improved oral hygiene practices to laser treatments, and in some cases, gum surgery.
Dr. Leo Arellano and his team believe that prevention is the best dental treatment and offer the following tips to help patients avoid developing this serious oral disease:
- Limit sugary foods and beverages, and when they are consumed, brush or at least rinse afterwards
- Do not use smoking or smokeless tobacco
- Brush at least twice a day, preferably, brush or at least rinse after every meal or snack
- Floss every day, this step is too important to miss
- Maintain regular dental checkups
To schedule an appointment with the dental team who is dedicated to the prevention of dental problems in Daly City and the surrounding communities, call 415-881-4343 today.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco