Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
Gum disease, also called periodontal disease, is infection in the supporting structures around the teeth. According to the American Academy of Periodontology, it is the primary cause of adult tooth loss today. Many people are unaware they have gum disease because it is essentially painless. Some of the early signs of gum disease include tender, swollen red gums that frequently bleed when brushing, persistent bad taste, bad breath, or gums loosening from teeth. It is crucial that patients see Dr. Arellano as soon as possible if they suspect they may have gum disease. Early diagnosis allows a more conservative treatment. Dr. Arellano offers a range of treatments including:
- Scaling and root planing - An instrument called a dental scaler or curette is used to remove the plaque and tartar above and below the gumline. Once this has been completed, the area that was scraped may be rather rough, the area is then planed, which smooths it out. This facilitates healing and helps the gums reattach to the teeth. The smoothness helps prevent plaque from clinging to the surface.
- Gum surgery - This procedure involves lifting the gum tissue and removing the tartar. Then, the gum tissue is trimmed and placed to fit tightly around the tooth. This reduces the space (pockets) between the teeth and gums, so it decreases the area where bacteria-laden plaque can accumulate.
- Ozone therapy - Due to its immunostimulating and antimicrobial properties, ozone has beneficial biological effects, including disinfectant and anti-inflammatory actions.
- Laser gum treatment (LANAP) - This treatment can remove the bacteria and infection below the gumline without affecting the healthy tissue. Additionally, LANAP facilitates bone and connective tissue formation between the gums and teeth, minimizing the risk of the infection reoccurring.
Numerous studies have found a link between gum disease and systemic conditions such as kidney disease, orthopedic implant failure, diabetes, pulmonary disease, Alzheimer's disease, poor fetal development, and cancer. Effective treatment is essential to oral and overall health.
Dr. Leo Arellano and his team provide a wide range of preventive and restorative services to ensure optimal oral health for people in San Francisco, Daly City, and beyond. Call 415-881-4343 to schedule an appointment today.
- Gum Disease Prevention Near San Francisco - Gum disease prevention tips for patients near San Francisco, CA
- Gum Disease Treatment in San Francisco - Treatment of gum disease in San Francisco for area residents
- Gum Disease in San Francisco CA - Residents in the San Francisco, CA area ask, "What are the keys to preventing gum disease?"
- Gum Disease Prevention Daly City - Daly City understands the importance of gum disease prevention
- Gum Disease in Daly City - Daly City area dentist explains risk factors for gum disease
- Gum Disease Daly City - Effective treatments for gum disease near Daly City
- Gum Problems Prevention San Francisco - Tips for prevention of gum problems in San Francisco
- San Francisco Dental - What is Gum Disease?
- San Francisco Gum Disease - What is Gum Recession and Gum Graft?
- Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco - The importance of Oral Hygiene in the Treatment of Gum Disease in San Francisco
- Periodontal Disease San Francisco - The Key Is Early Diagnosis and Oral Hygiene
- Laser Gum Treatments San Francisco - Gum surgery without cutting or stitches?
- Bleeding Gums San Francisco - Causes of bleeding gums, and treatment options in San Francisco
- Gum Disease Treatment San Francisco - Prevention is always better than treatment
- Gum Disease of San Francisco - Good oral hygiene is vital to the prevention of periodontal (gum) disease
- San Francisco Gum Disease Treatment - Protect your overall health with San Francisco gum disease treatment
- Periodontist San Francisco - Gum disease treatment without the cost of a periodontist in San Francisco
- LANAP San Francisco - Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure (LANAP) in San Francisco
- Periodontitis Treatment San Francisco - Amazing periodontitis treatment in San Francisco